Sunday, November 20, 2011

The great pomegranate seduction...

 
I remember as a kid growing up in rural Southern California, I could ride my horse everywhere. Often, when out riding in the late summer-early fall, I'd love to pick a juicy, sweet pomegranate off a tree, bust it open and make a mess eating the wonderful fruit; but back then, that was the extent of it. I never knew anyone who actually used the fruit for anything else. It was an odd thing.

Wow, have things changed in the world of pomegranates. They are everywhere now; considered a powerful anti-oxidant, and used in lots of dishes. I always have them in my kitchen while in season. I sprinkle them on salads along with any other way I can that accents my cooking with their bright color and little bursts of sweet flavor. I ALWAYS use them in my mango salsa, which is SO easy to make -- following is a list of basic ingredients I use, but as always, I encourage you to use your creativity.
  • Diced Mango
  • Sliced Green Onions
  • Dice Red and Yellow Peppers
  • Pomegranates
  • Touch of salt if needed
This is the Mango Salsa I use to top my crab cakes with. It's also great on chicken, or simply put out in a bowl with pita chips for a quick and colorful snack.
Mango Salsa

But the highly anticipated thing I've been doing with pomegranates for many many years is a holiday celebration pomegranate-vodka infusion...
Pomegranate infused Vodka
I simply buy a decent bottle of vodka, bust open a pomegranate, and put the fruit in the bottle of vodka. Then I let it sit for a couple of weeks (turning it occasionally to incorporate the fruit), and once it's a nice vibrant pink-ruby color, make a simple vodka cocktail with club soda or tonic and a slice of orange.

It's easy to make, festive, and the flavor the fresh pomegranate gives it is DELISH... you should try it, make it your new annual tradition. If you enjoy vodka, you'll be glad you did!!!

1 comment:

  1. Not that any of us need vodka you can drink straight... YUMMY SIPPER

    ReplyDelete