Sunday, April 1, 2012

Sunday Brunch with a Kitchen Sink Perspective...

Sometimes I'm so busy thinking about creating for the blog that I forget to just cook. But then I just cook and I get all excited and make Jake get his camera anyway - this was one of those moments...
Egg Topped Mediterranean Breakfast Skillet
For a broader look at how this all came together in the skillet...
Egg Topped Mediterranean Breakfast Skillet
This is how this happened:

I went to the kitchen fridge, counter, and Pantry and just started assembling...
  1. Eggs
  2. Green Olives
  3. Capers
  4. Fresh Rosemary
  5. Fresh Thyme
  6. Fresh Basil
  7. Cheddar Cheese
  8. Red Onions
  9. Yellow Grape Tomatoes
  10. Red Vine-Ripened Tomatoes
  11. Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
  12. Olive Oil
  13. Cracked Black Pepper
And I did this:

I sliced the green olives and set aside. Next I minced the fresh rosemary and thyme and did a chiffonade of the basil and then I chopped the red onions, chopped the tomatoes and had the capers ready to spoon from the jar. Oh, and in true Mise en Place style, I shredded the cheese, and had the red peppers and olive oil and four eggs ready for production.

I simply heated some olive oil in the skillet over med heat and when heated added the onions. As soon as they started to soften I threw in the tomatoes, herbs (NOT THE BASIL) and the olives and capers. I sauteed for just a minute and then added some cracked pepper, red pepper flakes and stirred in the basil. Then I cracked the eggs on top, reduced the heat and covered to allow the eggs to poach for just a few minutes. Once the eggs were almost done, I added the grated cheddar cheese and placed the skillet under the broiler for a minute to finish it off.

This is what it turned out like... 
Jake's Portion
And I just couldn't help myself...

Patrick's Portion
GIVE THIS A WHIRL - IT WAS SO EASY AND DELICIOUS!!!

4 comments:

  1. That looks to die for and yes, so easy. I'm Pinning this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can only hope that it was White Swan Olive Oil you used! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - of course! I'm excited to work with White Swan for its own special post... SO much cooking to do, SO little time... :-)

      Delete