Tuesday, December 13, 2011

It was a DARK and STORMY night...

So I remedied it with this...

Spicy Duck Soup and Dry Riesling
DETAILS AFTER THE JUMP...

I had my duck bones left from when I had roasted my TAJ Farms Muscovy Free-range duck. So I made a duck stock, and pulled all the meat off the bones for soup.

Last night (due to the strangely cold weather in Palm Springs) seemed like the perfect night to finish the soup I had started, so off I went with these basic ingredients while my duck stock was warming on the stove.
Fresh Basil, Shiitake Mushrooms, Lime, Shallots and Garlic
Oh and I also added a couple dried Thai chiles to the broth for some extra kick.

While the broth was heating, I minced the garlic and shallots, and sauteed them in a little butter over medium heat. Once they were starting to sweat, I added the mushrooms (I quartered them), and continued to saute them until soft. About half way through, I added some white wine (maybe a 1/4 cup) and let it reduce down as the mushrooms cooked...
Shiitake Mushrooms sauteed with Shallots and Garlic in a little white wine
While the mushrooms were cooking, I chiffonade cut the basil...
Basil Chiffonade
I included this picture to show you what a chiffonade cut looks like. It's basically cutting fresh leafy greens into long thin strips. Make sure the knife you use is relatively sharp. If you use a dull knife it will bruise the edges of the greens, causing them to turn brown.

Once my mushrooms were sauteed, and my stock with the duck meat heated, I added the mushrooms, plus I added a 13.5 oz can of coconut milk, the juice of one lime, and about 2 tablespoons of Thai fish sauce. I adjusted the flavor with some kosher salt, and then right before serving added the fresh basil.

And now for the wine...
Trefethen 2007 Dry Riesling
I was so excited to discover this bottle of Trefethen 2007 Riesling in the LOFT wine fridge. Rieslings are wonderful wines for spicy, Asian influenced foods. The aromatics, crispness, and lean minerally finish is the perfect contrast the the spicy, robust soup. The wine brightens and cleanses your palate after each taste of soup... it was one of those "OMG, I'm so loving this wine with this meal!" moments.

Trefethen is often most known for their AMAZINGLY balanced California Chardonnays, but this Riesling was also a reflection of the first class wines they make.

No comments:

Post a Comment