Thursday, January 12, 2012

Crostini a trois - the FINALE!

A few days ago I posted a blog on these three little beauties - Crostini a Trois...
Crostini Madras
Crostini Za'atar
Crostini Fennel
I stated that they needed toppings and I had fun hearing several of your suggestions. In addition, I thought about each one, and what flavor combos would work best with them.

SEE THEM IN ALL THEIR GLORY AFTER THE JUMP...

First: Crostini Madras. I used a mixture of Madras curry, turmeric, and smoked paprika; a smokey, exotic mix of flavors. So my topping combo needed to compliment the mouth explosion waiting to happen...
Crostini Madras topping ingredients
A bright sweetness along with some savory nuances was just the ticket. I used these:
  • Feta Cheese as the base
  • Calmyrna Figs soaked in Sherry
  • Prosciutto
  • Cuties
  • Pomegranates
Crostini Madras Assembly
Crostini Madras Finale
Crostini Madras and Unoaked Chardonnay
Next: Crostini Za'atar. Za'atar is a Mediterranean spice mixture of dried thyme, oregano, savory, sesame seeds, sumac and salt.
Crostini Za'atar topping ingredients
For this, I wanted fresh and lively, and not too overpowering, so I used these:
  • Fried Halloumi cheese for the base
  • Yellow cherry tomatoes tossed with fresh mint and Citrus Olive Oil
  • Sliced cucumbers
  • Dusting of smoked paprika
Crostini Za'atar Assembly
Crostini Za'atar Finale
Crostini Za'atar with Unoaked Chardonnay
And finally: Crostini Fennel. For this one I used my rub of toasted fennel, coriander, cayenne pepper and salt.
Crostini Za'atar topping ingredients
I needed a robust flavor to keep up with the bold heat on the crostini, so I used these:
  • Baby arugula as the base
  • Sweet Vermouth, crushed garlic, and red pepper flake soaked and grilled prawns
  • Thinly sliced red onions
Crostini Fennel finishing touches
Crostini Fennel Finale
Crostini a Trois ready to party
And about that wine...
Joel Gott 2010 Unoaked Chardonnay
Joel Gott is a Napa Valley Winery, and this 2010 Unoaked Chardonnay is from Monterey, California. 

This is what they say about this wine:

Tasting Notes:
The 2010 Joel Gott Unoaked Chardonnay has lively citrus aromas of tangerine and meyer lemon with a tropical medley of hibiscus, honeydew melon and pear. The bright acidity leads to a creamy mid-palate with sophisticated minerality and a lingering finish.

It worked perfectly as a nice palate refresher after each bite of these bold little party-in-your-mouth crostinis.

No comments:

Post a Comment