Thursday, March 1, 2012

NO MORE CRYING OVER ONIONS!!!

Ok, after all the recent wine events, and home cooking profiles, and heartfelt thanks for supporting this blog, it's time to get back to work!

Today I want to show you my favorite step-by-step way to mince an onion and avoid the flood of onion fume-induced tears many of us dread. I for one, cry like crazy when chopping them.

Perfectly Minced Onions
To See How I did this, JUMP...

This is so simple...

Keep those fumes trapped
Cut your onion in half. Then cut off the bottom end (not the root end), and peal off the top skin layer. Place the onion cut side down on your cutting board and....

Horizontal Slices
Cut your onion in horizontal slices - I usually do about four...

Vertical Slices
Next slice your onion vertically - long ways...

Chopping Onion
Finally begin slicing your onion cross-grain and watch how your perfect little pieces of onions simply fall away...

Perfectly little pieces

Although some fumes still escape, this is such an easy and fast way to chop an onion.

I almost used this as my Wednesday-Humpday post but didn't think the simple act of mincing an onion was really all that celebratory!

Hope this simple little trick works well for you and you are able to dry your tears!

1 comment: